Wednesday 23 May 2012

Underage models. Yay or Nay?!

In recent months teenage models seem to be sparking more controversy than ever before in their use in fashion editorials, brand campaigns and runway shows. 

On the runway Marc Jacobs is one designer who has on more than one occasion cast under 16 models in his catwalk shows. He responded to those against teenage models on the runway:

“I do the show the way I think it should be and not the way somebody tells me it should be. If their parents are willing to let them do a show, I don’t see any reason that it should be me who tells them that they can’t. There are children actors and children models for catalogs and stuff, so I guess if a parent thinks it’s O.K. and a kid wants to do it, it’s fine". 

One model who has been cast for more than one of Marc Jacobs show is Ondria Hardin who has also starred in a sultry Prada ad aged only 13 raising even more controversy. How her parents are happy to watch their teenage daughter photographed like this is beyond me!


Even more shocking last year Vogue Paris featured 10 year old, Thylane Blondeauin high heels, full face of make-up and a navel baring dress. I remember only first seeing this editorial recently and even though the lighting and photography is up to Vogues high standard I can't help to think the 10 year old looks so out of place.

Thylane's mum, reality star and fashion designer has spoken out about the controversy her daughters shoot caused. 
 
"It's pretty surprising to see them resurface seven months later. I understand that this could seem shocking. I admit I myself was shocked during the photo shoot. But let me be precise: the only thing that shocked me is that the necklace she wore was worth €3 million!"
 

 However Vogue has since made a U-turn on their attitude towards underage models and recently announced they would no longer use models under the age of 16 in their shoots. 

In my opinion teenagers under the age of 16 certainly don't belong on the pages of Vogue or walking down catwalks and I think more magazines need to follow suit of Vogue. In my eyes girls of 13 and 14 aren't stable enough to enter the fashion industry as a model, they should be out enjoying ice creams and going to the cinema!

What do you think? Underage models.... Yay or Nay?!

No comments:

Post a Comment